Amazon has EVERYTHING!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

end of summer is finally here

The end of summer is officially here, but the weatherman must not have gotten the memo.  It was a very cool summer (only got above 100 once).... until now!  We had over 100 yesterday and will again today.  I will not complain, though because my friends in TX had MANY days over 100 with the humidity.  Man, I love living in N. CA!

Since it is the end of summer, it's time to do some canning.  Oh, wait... I don't can!  Instead, I love freezer bags and the freezer.  Much easier!  Night before last, I roasted the remainder of my bell peppers and froze them.  I just cut them in half and sprayed a little olive oil on them then popped them into the oven for about an hour or so... then put them in a covered bowl... peeled them and froze them.

This is the final harvest from the summer garden (except for a few beans, okra and tomatoes still holding on)

Ready to go in the oven

YUM!


Yesterday, I did the same with my tomatoes.  I cut them into quarters, added crushed garlic, fresh rosemary sprigs, thyme sprigs, oregano and basil, onion and olive oil.  Roasted them at 375 for about an hour and a half.  Peeled and pureed them then cooked on the stove top for a few hours to thicken it up some.  After it cooled I froze them in quart bags.  I didn't add any of the spices when I pureed it and cooked it, so it is a very basic tomato puree that I will pull from the freezer then I need it.  I may have to go to the farmers market this weekend and see if there are any good tomatoes left and do some diced and whole tomatoes.  I must say, my house smelled like Italian heaven all day yesterday.  Can't wait for winter when I can pull one out and have a taste of summer!

Most of these tomatoes came from a friend (mine are the smaller ones with stems still on them)

Ready to go into the oven.

Hot out of the oven.

HOURS later.... viola... puree.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...