Amazon has EVERYTHING!

Monday, October 25, 2010

I AM the MASTER of the clock! (aka.. Mod Podging a clock)

I know, the title of this post is a little strange, but this clock project I did was a real booger.  I don't have a clock in my craft/sewing room/library/guest room and every time I go to work in there, I have to get up frequently to check the time so I don't miss Sarah's after school pick up time (I know... it would be easier to wear a watch, but somehow, I always for get to put it on).  I didn't want to spend much money, but the only cheap clocks were really.... I don't know... cheap.  I have been Mod Podging things and figured I would fix up one of the cheap clocks to make it look better.

Here is the before picture of the clock.  It's a $5 clock from Wal-Mart.

I took the clock apart and pulled off the face.  Unfortunately, after I pulled off the hands, I decided to put them back on to make sure the clock would still work.  It did. so I took the hands off and when I did, the center pin came out with the second hand.  It didn't work after that.  Back to Wal-Mart for another $5 clock.

I had the perfect scrapbook paper that I had bought for another project.  It is Tim Holtz Ideal-ology Lost and Found stack.  It has lots of really cool vintage designs. If you want to take a look at it, HERE is a link.  I cut one of the smaller clock faces out of the top corner to put in the middle of my clock face.

Since I broke the previous clock when I took the hands off, I decided to not chance it and just work around the hands.  I cut a small hole in the center of the paper and a slit from the edge to the middle, covered the face in Mod Podge then carefully slid the paper in place.  Next I covered the face in several coats of Mod Podge, moving the hands of the clock around as needed.

I bought a fat quarter of a marble looking fabric at Jo Ann's, cut it into strips and Mod Podged it around the edge of the clock on the inside and around the outside rim. 

Next thing I did was put the clock back together.  It didn't work.  I don't know what I did wrong.  I was very careful with it... UGGG!  I was frustrated.  Two clocks down.  I told myself one to go and headed back to the store.  This time I was at Target and found this one for $2.87.  I didn't know what to do with it.  The paper stack I bought only had one large sheet of clocks and the store I got it at didn't have any more.  I really didn't want to start from scratch and the clock from Target didn't look as easy to decoupodge because the outer rim was part of the clock (unlike the Wal-Mart one that was separate)

I started looking at the clocks and decided to see how easy it was to remove the clock mechanism.  I used a screwdriver and they popped right off of the Wal-Mart clocks.  Tried the Target clock and it worked.  I was so relieved!  I put my clock back together, put the battery in.  It didn't work!  It was doing the same exact thing as the 2nd one that didn't work.  I almost cried (seriously).  Wait a minute!  I looked more closely... I had put the same broken clock mechanism right back on the clock (is it time to stop dying my hair blond?).  I got the screwdriver again and popped it off again.  When I did, I broke the plastic piece that holds the mechanism in place. GRRRR!  Only a  minor frustration, though.  Nothing a hot glue gun couldn't fix.  I put the right clock mechanism in, but a battery in and HALLELUJAH it WORKED!! 

After doing a happy dance for the next 5 minutes, I cleaned the glass, put it all back together and hung it up. 

I think I'll do another one for Sarah's room and for the guest bedroom.  I'll post pictures when I get them done.  It will be a while because I finally found a side table (for $3.99!! at a thrift store) to redo for the media room.  I have no idea how to do it, but I know I am using paper from this scrapbook pack (it's what I bought it for). 



2 comments:

DWYHomemaking said...

Great idea... thanks for sharing!!!

Melissa said...

Oh my! You have more perserveerance than I do! I would have stopped after the second one! Your clock turned out great though!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...